The best way to lose weight is through a healthy diet and the use of exercise. But what if you can’t find time for a gym? This blog post is all about stretching exercises for weight loss that you can do at home and in your office breakroom, with little or no equipment needed! These stretches will help you improve flexibility and endurance while burning fat.
- Why Stretching is Important for Weight Loss?
- 14 Stretches to Lose Weight
- Easy and Pleasant Yoga Exercises to Lose Weight by Stretching
- Stretch for a Good Night’s Sleep
- Benefits of Stretching for Weight Loss
- Essentials to Stretching Correctly
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Final Thoughts
Why Stretching is Important for Weight Loss?
You’re probably familiar with the saying, “No pain, no gain.” Unfortunately, this is often true when it comes to weight loss. To see results, you must put in the work. And one of the most important parts of your workout routine? Stretching. Believe it or not, stretching can help you lose weight and get toned. Here’s how:
- Stretching burns calories
- It Increases flexibility
- Promotes weight loss through an increase in your basal metabolic rate (BMR)
- Helps speed up the process of fat burning after workouts by increasing blood flow to muscle tissues. This brings more oxygen, nutrients and hormones for repair which also aids in losing body fat
- Increases the range of motion in your joints. This helps prevent injuries and reduces stiffness which can cause a decrease in strength during workouts. It also decreases pain after work outs by increasing lubrication to the joint area allowing for easier movement
14 Stretches to Lose Weight
In case you needed another reason to add stretching to your workout routine, here’s one: it can help you lose weight and tone up! Contrary to popular belief, stretching isn’t just for flexibility – it has a host of other benefits as well. So, if you’re looking to lose a few pounds, add these 12 stretches to your routine!
Sit with one leg stretched out in front of you and the other bent with your foot flat on the ground. Lean forward from your waist until you feel a stretch in your hamstring. Hold for 20 seconds and repeat three times before switching legs.
Stand with one foot planted in front of the other and pull your back heel up towards your butt. Grab onto your ankle or foot with your hand and hold for 20 seconds. Repeat three times before switching legs.
Lie flat on your back with feet flat on the ground and your knees bent. Tilt your pelvic bone upwards, tightening your abs as you do so. Hold for 20 seconds and repeat three times.
Easy and Pleasant Yoga Exercises to Lose Weight by Stretching
Start on all fours with your hands directly under your shoulders and your knees hip-width apart. Inhale as you arch your back up like a cat, and then exhale as you round your spine and tuck your chin to look like a cow. Continue these movements for 30 seconds.
Upward Dog Pose
From Cat-Cow pose, press into your hands and feet to lift your torso and legs off the ground. Hold for five seconds before lowering yourself back down. Repeat five times.
Downward Dog Pose
From Upward Dog, tuck your toes under and push back into an inverted V. Hold for five seconds before lowering yourself down on to the ground slowly. Repeat five times.
Sit on the ground with one leg bent in front of you and your other leg behind you. Lean forward from your waist, placing your hands where the crease of each thigh meets the gluteus. Hold for 30 seconds before switching legs.
Seated Spinal Twist
Sitting tall with both feet flat on the ground, raise your arms up to the ceiling with palms facing forward. Twist your upper body towards one side and then lower yourself down into a seated position. Repeat on the other side for 30 seconds each.
Happy Baby Pose
Lay flat on your back with both legs bent in front of you at 90-degree angles (knees should be in line with your hips). Hold onto the outsides of your feet and gently pull them towards your chest. Keep your head and shoulders flat on the ground. Hold for 30 seconds.
Lie flat on your back with feet flat on the ground and shoulder-width apart. Place your hands by your sides, palms down. Press into your feet and raise your torso and upper legs into the air, forming a bridge shape. Hold for 30 seconds.
Extended Triangle Pose
To do the extended triangle pose, stand with one foot in front of the other and reach out to the side with your hand at shoulder height. Keep your hips facing forward as you lean towards the extended arm. Hold for 30 seconds before switching sides.
Warrior I Pose
Start in a standing position with your feet hip-width apart. Step your left foot back and turn it out so your toes are pointing towards the side. Bend your left knee until it’s directly over your ankle and raise your right arm up to the ceiling. Look up at your raised arm and hold for 30 seconds before switching sides.
You may also be interested in this article on the benefits of the warrior 1 pose.
Start on your knees with your hips directly over your knees and thighs parallel to each other. Place your hands on your lower back, fingers pointing down. Push gently into your hands as you arch your upper body backwards, looking up at the ceiling. Hold for 30 seconds.
Start standing with your feet together. Shift weight onto one leg and bring the opposite foot up so it’s balancing on the ball of your other foot, toes pointing forward. Place both hands against a wall or tree, if possible, to hold them steady while you balance for 30 seconds before switching sides and legs.
If you are looking for an even more effective way to lose weight while doing yoga, check out this article to find out what is yoga burn.
Stretch for a Good Night’s Sleep
Stretching before bed can improve your sleep quality, helping you lose weight more effectively. So try these simple poses before hitting the hay tonight:
- Lay on your back with both legs bent and feet flat on the ground. Gently pull one knee into your chest and hold for 20 seconds before releasing. Switch legs and repeat
- Lay on your back with arms at your sides. Bring one knee up to your chest and hug it close to you with both hands. Hold for 30 seconds before releasing. Switch legs and repeat
- Sit on the ground with both legs bent in front of you, feet flat on the floor. Reach for your right ankle and pull it towards your butt until you feel a stretch in your hamstring. Hold for 30 seconds before switching legs and repeating
- Lie on your back with arms out to your sides, palms down. Bring your right knee up to your chest and clasp your hands around it. Gently pull your knee towards your chest until you feel a stretch in your lower back. Hold for 30 seconds before switching legs and repeating
- Stand with feet hip-width apart and arms at your sides. Reach overhead with both hands and clasp them together. Gently pull your hands towards the floor, feeling a stretch in your abs. Hold for 30 seconds before releasing. Repeat on the other side
- Sit on the ground with both legs bent in front of you, feet flat on the ground and shoulder-width apart. Place your left ankle over your right knee and press down until you feel a stretch in your inner thigh. Hold for 30 seconds before switching legs and repeating
- Sit with one leg straight out in front of you, knee bent at 90 degrees. Pull the sole of your foot towards your body until you feel a gentle stretch in your lower back or hamstring. Hold for 20 seconds before releasing and switch sides
- Stand with feet together and reach your arms overhead. Clasp your hands together, and lean to the right, feeling a stretch in your left side. Hold for 20 seconds before releasing and switch sides
Related Article: 21 Day Smoothie Diet Review
Benefits of Stretching for Weight Loss
There are a lot of different opinions on how to best lose weight. Some people say you should cut out carbs, others advocate eating six small meals a day. But one thing nearly everyone can agree on is that stretching is good for you! Here are four reasons why stretching can help with weight loss.
- Stretching stimulates your lymphatic system, which removes toxins from your body
- Stretching can help with chronic pain and inflammation throughout the body, including headaches caused by stress
- Stretching helps prevent injury during exercise or other physical activity (like stretching at night to improve sleep)
- Stretching reduces cortisol levels, which is a stress hormone that can lead to weight gain
Have you incorporated regular stretching into your routine yet? If not, now’s the perfect time! Try the stretches above tonight before bed and see how much better you feel in the morning!
Essentials to Stretching Correctly
There are many different types of stretching, but when you’re trying to lose weight it’s important to do the right kind. It won’t help if you stretch for an hour before bed and then sit on your butt all day at work! So, make sure to incorporate these tips into your routine:
- Hold each stretch for at least 20 seconds
- Don’t bounce or force your body into a position it’s not ready for
- Breathe deeply and relax while you stretch
- Stretch every day, even if it’s just for a few minutes
Following these tips will help you get the most out of your stretches and see results faster! So, what are you waiting for? Start stretching today!
Frequently Asked Questions
Stretching is a great way to help you lose weight and feel healthier. It boosts your flexibility, improves blood flow throughout the body and reduces chronic pain from conditions like arthritis or fibromyalgia. So, what are you waiting for? Start stretching today!
If you have any questions or tips you would like to share, please leave a comment below.