Ardha = “mean”, chandra = “moon”. Ardha Chandrasana – Half Moon Pose is a lateral balancing pose with the trunk tilted sideways. All limbs are stretched in three planes.
- Begin standing in Tadasana .
- Take a step to the side to separate your feet one meter. Breathe in and raise your arms to shoulder height with your palms facing down. Turn the right foot 90º and the left 60º, to the right.
- Bend your right knee 90º. Put your foot on the ground. Exhale and turn the trunk laterally, place the right arm next to the right leg.
- Exhale and twist your body further, lift your left leg. Stretch your left arm and raise your shoulder to open your chest. Keep your right leg straight with your heel firmly supported. Hold 20-30 seconds. Finish gently and repeat on the other side.
- Strengthens the abdomen, ankles, thighs, buttocks and spine
- Stretches the groins, hamstrings and calves, shoulders, chest and spine
- Improves coordination and sense of balance
- Helps relieve stress
- Improves digestion
If you have neck problems, don’t turn your head to look up. Keep looking forward.
- Headache or migraine
- Low blood pressure