Did you know that losing weight doing yoga is simple and very effective? This practice, in which the exercises are mostly static, helps us to burn fat easily, to keep the body fit, elastic and toned. In addition, it is a very good option to achieve relaxation both physically and mentally. The reason why this sport helps us reduce weight is that we mobilize many muscles at the same time, and even some that we would hardly move otherwise. Thus, with yoga we manage to burn the excess calories that we ingest daily and balance our weight.
The fish or Matsyasana
Among the best yoga postures to slim the abdomen, we highlight the fish pose or Matsyasana. This position will not only help you reduce your belly, but it is also very effective in burning fat and toning your back, shoulders and arms. So, if your goal is above all to reduce abdomen and tone it and, in addition, to strengthen these other parts of the body, the fish is a position that you cannot skip in your routine. To do it you must follow the following steps:
- Lay the mat on the floor on your back with your legs well extended and with your arms bent at your sides, resting your elbows on the floor and with your hands touching the sides of your thighs or buttocks, at the height that is most comfortable for you.
- Raise your back without separating your buttocks from the floor, arching your chest, raising your upper arms and shoulders, and bring your head forward until your chin touches your chest.
- Maintaining the full body position, tilt your head back little by little until you let the top of your head rest on the floor. When doing this, you can spread your elbows a little to make it more comfortable, but your back should remain arched.
- You must keep your back elevated from the bottom, with your sternum well raised and your head supported, choosing how much pressure you prefer to exert on each part, for a few seconds and then bring your head forward again following the breaths. We advise you to do 5 repetitions and rest.
- One way to get your elbows supported, your shoulders down, and your chest up well is to bring your shoulder blades together.
The dolphin or Makarasana
To get slimmer belly, thighs and buttocks and strengthen arms and legs we recommend the dolphin pose or Makarasana. It is a simple position but it requires effort to maintain it and this will increase fat burning. To do it you will have to follow these steps.
- Lie face down on your mat or on a towel, bring your arms forward from your head and rest your elbows on the ground at the height of your head, keep your elbows not in line with your shoulders but slightly more apart.
- Rest your toes on the ground and breathe deeply to lift your body.
- Raise your hips, exhaling the retained air, until your feet are completely flat on the floor or at least your toes. Continue with your elbows and forearms well supported on the ground and you will be able to stay in an inverted A or V position.
- To be effective, hold the air, contracting the abdomen, during the 10 seconds that you hold the position.
- Expel the air slowly as you lower yourself to the starting position. Repeat the exercise 7 times.
- A variant that adds difficulty and effectiveness to lose weight is that when you are holding the dolphin asana you swing forward passing your head in front of your hands until they are close to your chest and return backwards, repeating it 3 times before return to starting position.
The candle or Sarvangasana
Among the selection of the best yoga exercises to lose weight and tone different parts of the body, we find the candle pose or Sarvangasana. It is a position that will help us to work the abdomen, back, arms and legs and that will also help you stretch the muscles and relieve the tension accumulated in the shoulders and neck. To do it, pay attention to the following steps:
- Lie on your back on your mat or towel, place the palms of your hands down on the sides of your body or slightly below and press to force yourself to raise your legs.
- Raise your legs straight up to a 90º angle, breathe in by bringing them towards your chest.
- Breathe out little by little while lifting your glutes and your back. It is better to bend your arms, leaning on your elbows, and rest your hands on your lower back at the level of your kidneys. Keep breathing at a normal but slow and deep rate.
- Help yourself with your hands to position your back properly and support all the weight on the elbows, arms, neck, shoulders and head correctly. Align your body to get perpendicular to the floor keeping your feet elevated and your legs straight.
- With the chin close to the chest and maintaining the position described, hold for a few seconds, between 30 and 60 seconds, and return to the starting position slowly, exhaling.
- You can bring your legs back, passing over your head, to better control the descent.
- Repeat this exercise 5 times and try to hold out longer each time.
The cobra or Bhujangasana
The last of these exercises that we propose is one of the simplest postures to do yoga at home. It is the cobra or Bhujangasana pose that benefits us by burning fat from the abdomen, thighs and buttocks, strengthening the back and arms, since it is vital to contract the abdominals and keep all the muscles active. To do this simple position that will help you reduce a few sizes, you must follow these instructions:
- Lie on the mat face down and put your hands flat against the floor at the height of your shoulders.
- Raise your head and trunk by pressing your hands to the ground and stretching your arms well.
- Do not keep all the strength in your hands, but you should try to contract the muscles of the belly to work them and thus distribute the effort between these different parts of the body.
- Keep your legs and feet straight and you can even try lifting your thighs off the floor a bit to strengthen your legs and glutes.
- Hold like this between 30 and 60 seconds, return to the starting position expelling all the air, rest for a few moments and repeat all the steps 5 times.
Tips to lose weight doing yoga
In addition to doing these 4 yoga exercises to lose weight, you should pay attention to your diet and your health. You will have to go to a dietician and your regular doctor to check your health and your progress when losing weight with this practice. It is important that you consider some eating tips to help you facilitate safe weight loss:
- Try to drink 1.5 to 2 liters of water a day. This will keep you hydrated, eliminate toxins and reduce fluid retention.
- Eat a healthy diet 5 or 6 times a day, in this way you will not starve and activate the metabolism.
- Forget about harmful food like fried foods or industrial products. Choose healthy foods that contain protein but little fat, as well as fiber.
- Take carbohydrates during the first meals of the day but never eat them for dinner.
- Add more fruits and vegetables that provide you with vitamins, minerals and fiber.
- Reduce or eliminate alcohol and tobacco use.
Contraindications to practicing yoga
There are certain cases in which according to some conditions it is not advisable to practice this type of static exercise. Some two of the cases considered as contraindications to yoga are the following:
- Pregnant women at rest
- Glaucoma patients
- People with diabetes
- People with coronary heart disease and other similar eye conditions
- Osteoporosis patients
If you have never practiced this sport before, it is better that you first consult your regular doctor since he will know if in your state of health it is convenient for you to practice it or not and what other options you may have. If you can practice it, it is advisable to start slowly and that you know well how to start doing yoga.
Up for a Challenge? Read our Yoga Burn Review on the 12 Week Yoga Challenge.